What is a Concussion?According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), a concussion is a type of traumatic brain injury caused by a bump, blow or jolt to the head, or a hit to the body that causes the brain to move or shift in the skull and causes a functional disturbance and chemical changes to brain cells. Concussions typically result in the rapid onset of signs and symptoms, although in some cases symptoms may evolve over minutes to hours.
Potential Concussion Signs and Symptoms:
- Headache or feeling "pressure in the head"
- Difficulty remembering events just before or after a hit or fall
- Appearing dazed or stunned
- Forgetting an instruction or confusion about an assignment
- Moving clumsily or answering questions slowly
- Concentration or memory problems
- Just not "feeling right" or "feeling down"
- Showing mood, behavior, or personality changes
- Feeling sluggish or foggy
- Nausea or vomiting
- Balance problems or dizziness
- Double or blurry vision
- Bothered by light or noise
- Losing consciousness (even briefly)
Communicating with School Following a Concussion:
It is important to notify your child's school nurse following a head injury/concussion diagnosis. Full recovery from a concussion may take several days to several weeks or even months. There are physical and emotional symptoms that may continue during a recovery.
Return to School:
Lincoln Public Schools requires that a student returning to school, post-concussion, submit a re-entry plan from a healthcare provider. Please click here to download Heads Up: Acute Concussion Evaluation (ACE) Care Plan.
Please Note: Students who are diagnosed with a concussion as the result of participation in LPS Extracurricular Athletics must subit a Post Sports-Related Head Injury Medical Clearance and Authorization Form prior to resuming the athletic activity.
More information can be found at:
The above information is from the Massachusetts Department of Public Health, "Returning to School After Concussion: Guidelines for Massachusetts Schools.", June 2018.