Recorder Karate is a leveled, differentiated program for 3rd grade recorder. Students progress through a series of “belts” by playing songs that are progressively more difficult. The method uses a variety of activities, practice songs, and performance criteria to navigate children through reading traditional music notation.
- The goal is to have all students be at least an orange belt by the end of 3rd grade.
- Students progress at their individual rate.
- Students have the opportunity to perform solos in class to move forward in the program.
- All printed music will be in the student’s music folder
- Audio recordings of the songs are also on the page Accessing Recorder Karate Online
List of Belts, Songs, and Notes Learned
- WHITE: Hot Cross Buns GAB
- YELLOW: Gently Sleep GAB
- ORANGE: Merrily We Roll Along GAB
- GREEN: It’s Raining EGA
- PURPLE: Old MacDonald Had a Farm DEGAB
- BLUE: When The Saints Go Marching In GABC’D’
- RED: Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star DEF#GAB
- BROWN: Amazing Grace DEGABD’
- BLACK: Ode to Joy DGABC’D’